Marvel's Spider-Man, commonly referred to asÂ Spider-Man, is anÂ action-adventure gameÂ developed byÂ Insomniac GamesÂ and published byÂ Sony Interactive EntertainmentÂ for theÂ PlayStation 4, based on theÂ Marvel ComicsÂ superheroÂ Spider-Man. Released worldwide on September 7, 2018, it is the first licensed game developed by Insomniac. The game tells a new story about Spider-Man that is not tied to an existing comic book, video game, or film, and covers both the Peter Parker and Spider-Man aspects of the character. Spider-ManÂ was well received upon release. Critics called it one of the best superhero games ever made, praising its gameplay, particularly the combat and web-swinging mechanics, graphics, story, and design ofÂ New York City, while expressing criticism for a lack of innovation in its open-world design. The game sold well commercially, selling 3.3 million copies in its first three days of release, and broke several sales records. Spider-ManÂ is anÂ action-adventureÂ game set in anÂ open worldÂ modern-dayÂ New York CityÂ and played from aÂ third-person perspective. It features combat systems such as aerial combat,Â Spider SenseÂ reflexes, and finishing moves.Â Spider-ManÂ can push attacking enemies off of buildings, though Spider-Man does not let them fall, webbing them to the side of the building.The player is able to use Spider-Man's abilities such as web slinging and wall-crawling as well as other gameplay elements such as the ability to traverse usingÂ parkour, and the crafting and use of gadgets and alternative suits with special powers.Environmental combat,Â quick time eventsÂ andÂ stealthÂ are also featured in the game.Peter Parker (outside of his Spider-Man identity),Â Miles Morales, andÂ Mary Jane WatsonÂ are also playable in certain parts of the game.Peter's sections often involve solving puzzles, while Mary Jane's and Miles' segments involve using stealth to get to certain positions. What started out as the search for a killer very quickly becomes something so much more. In a unique story alongside the events of the second film, Spider-Man discovers heâ€™s not the only one tracking down Manhattanâ€™s criminals. The underworld has been turned upside down with a one man campaign of violence and murder that is has captured the city in an iron grip of fear. Villains from the film as well as fan-favorite, classic Marvel characters are woven together in a twisted web of adrenaline-fueled, free-roaming, web-slinging action that puts players on a collision course with an evil far beyond Spider-Manâ€™s reckoning.
- Play as Peter Parker: Play as Spider-Manâ€™s citizen alter-ego persona as you investigate the motivations of multifaceted villains.
- All-Star Villain Cast: Wide cast of Spider-Man universe and movie villains, each with their own unique boss battle encounters.
- All New Web Arsenal: New web-swing mechanic includes expanded web-shooter capabilities and chemical properties that allow you to freeze and blow up items on impact.
- Expansive NYC: Explore and take on villains in a more expansive Manhattan cityscape than the previous Amazing Spider-Man.
- New Heroism System: â€œHero or Menaceâ€ system rewards you for acting as Spider-Man by stopping crime and saving citizens, but face the consequences if you donâ€™t keep down crime rates.
- Advanced Combat & Upgrades: New abilities and expanded fast-paced, acrobatic combat moves bring players up close and personal as Spidey takes down foes.